This week I’m out and about at the Vancouver International Jazz Fest. I love the music, and my husband and many friends are jazz musicians, so it is a big part of my summer. Continuing this blog's recent drawing theme, here are some of my sketches from jazz fest, current and past.
My current Top 10 jazz favourites:
- John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme” (this is my go-to album when I need to get things moving in the studio)
- Freddy Hubbard’s solo on ‘Skylark’ with Art Blakey and the Messangers
- Sonny Rollins “Way Out West”
- Peggy Lee’s “Film in Music” (disclaimer - my husband, Kevin Elaschuk, plays on this album, but that’s not the only reason I love it)
- Robin Holcomb “The Point Of It All”
- Paul Motion “In The Year of the Dragon”
- Bill Frisell Quartet “Tales From The Far Side”
- Herbie Hancock “Speak Like a Child”
- Wes Montgomery and Wynton Kelly “Smokin’ At The Half Note”
- Thelonious Monk - just about anything
If you like music, I encourage you to get out an hear live music al year round. Don't wait for a festival. It's like the difference between seeing a painting 'live' vs looking at an image in a book or online - which was the topic of an earlier blog post "An Argument For The Real".